mandag den 16. august 2010

My reason for choosing linux.

Well some people prefer to try and compare Gnu/Linux with windoze. However I don't wonna do that as I really dislike windows I might not really give a fair chance in such comparison., I prefer to do something else entirely.
I would like to describe some of the reasons for choosing Gnu/Linux over windows.
Lets just take 5.

1. The freedom of choice


2. The ability to use old computers


3. Better software 


4. The  price


5. Stability


Now I will explain some of the claims.
The first one with freedom of choice is really simply, with linux (of course Gnu/Linux but from now on refered to as simply linux), that is I can choose what distribution I want. And I can choose what Interface I want to use, even if I just want text. also I do not need a lot of bloatware (although some distros like to include some non needed software)

The small amounts of memory means I can still use an very old computer 512MB 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 Dual core, with a totally nice performance although it doesn't do very much.
I have a lot of old computers which all runs perfectly nice with linux and I think would be very tight if I put windows on them, the non graphical interface on them doesn't pull much either.

Well the better software might be a little far fetched if you have never tried any quality software - when people like to write software and not doing it for a living they tend to generate better results. Have you ever tried Emacs for instance which is a totally awesome piece of software created by GNU, it is far superior to all the editors available on the windows platform, it is a lifestyle.
Well anyway some software on linux are quite bad as well.

The price should be self explanatory.


I find that linux is much better in terms of stability as virus writers do not really write so much for linux just now, it might just be easier for them to write for windows. But ofcause I do not know all that much about this.
If you have some other reasons put them down in the comments

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar