tirsdag den 10. august 2010

Slackware great for a simple system. Debains great apt - together

Well with those being great in to so different ways, slackware being build on the foundation of BSD and debian being based on free software (mostly anyway), there is that thing in debian I really like (also whenever I sit at a debian based mirror) apt-get apt-cache or apt-whatever, are quality tools, probably among the best build system in the linux world (that does mean the entire world when it comes to package managers windows and MAC are well out of that race), I am no great expert on the apt-get or simply "apt" package.

However I do know that I probably would like end up using something like that on my slackware, which is what I really would like to write about in this post.
Becourse slackware being so old, and popular (well at least at some point), somebody thought that we should have an optional package manager alike that of debian, so I will try to show something of that.

http://a.imageshack.us/img31/511/linksyx.png (link for bigger picture)
That is how I like my system X-less :-)
well this is also my favorite search engine as it does not collect information or store ip :-)
http://a.imageshack.us/img31/511/linksyx.png
Well I just like to take some pictures. Well I am just showing how easy that part was.
After all that download
then comes the really easy part.

tar xvpf (your just downloaded package)
cd (to your just extracted package)

(no configure script but there is a make file.)

su
make install :-)


no error (no dependencies not fulfilled, which is usually not the case on slack).
and now slapt-get get software installations done nice and easily.
just do

slapt-get -u

to update your information.
I admit that it hasn't got everypackage but to see how much it has got lookup

slapt-get --available

And as in apt you can add extra reposities to your slapt-get.
But for now your own your own to find some new reposities to add (but your a slack user so that should be no problem, even if you have to find it on the internet.
Well just ixquick.com for it.
Which searches a bit more than google and are more interested in keeping private data private.
But well try it, you can always go back to googling.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar